Friday, December 23, 2011

Run for it

I love to run. No, seriously, I do.
I'm not a terribly good runner, nor am I a very fast runner. I average between a 9-10 minute mile depending on my mood.
Finding time to run is one of the hardest things I do. The actual running part is easy. Especially if I have a friend with me:) or a rockin' playlist to listen to.

The very best part of running is the feeling I get while I'm doing it. Not the, "I think my legs are going to burn off", or the "I'm so winded I'm not sure I'll breath normal again" feelings. But the combination of those feelings and more. The feeling of propelling myself forward as quickly as my body will allow me to. The sound of my feet pounding the pavement and the overwhelming sense of accomplishment as I reach my goals. That's why I love running. That's why I keep running. It makes me feel good.

I just happened to move to a place where I can run all year long. Comfortably. My sisters brave the chilly arctic tundra in their home towns(and the intense heat) and I admire their perseverance. I'm not sure I could brave running in below freezing temps(on a regular basis)--no matter how much I love it:)
In addition to being temperate it's also incredibly scenic. What ocean coastline isn't? But just like running, there is something about THIS coastline that gives majestic and beauty a whole new meaning. Craggy rocks, gigantic surf and rolling dunes...need I say more?
I didn't think running could get any better, but it just did.

I've run the Oregon Coast Trail twice now. A wooded trail that starts at the Cape Arago Sea Lion look-out and ends at Sunset Beach State Park. It follows the coast line with incredible views every 100 yards or so. You even run through Simpson Beach and Shore Acres State park. So far, nothing tops it. But next time, I'm running round trip, 3 miles up, and then back.

My good friend Camber has run this trail with me both times. I think she loves it as much as I do. This last trip another friend joined us(Heather) and we made way too many stops to get a real serious workout in. The view was just too much to pass by so quickly. The surf was high and the tide was in. Look out mother nature is bewitching us again!

On the road up to the trail*:

Before the run*:

Simpson Beach*:

Us on Simpson beach(halfway)*:

High tide near Shore Acres*:

We could feel the mist on our skin and after the waves receeded we saw rainbows*:

Along the trail(that's me in the photo)*:

The end. Sunset Beach:

*Photos taken by Heather Allen

0 comments:

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP